The Aveyime District Police have intercepted a large boat on the Volta River and arrested four suspects after retrieving 3,280 parcels of suspected narcotic substances believed to be Indian hemp.
The operation was embarked on February 16, at about 7 P.M, when a police team led by the Aveyime District Commander, ASP Mr. Christopher Asante Ahoku, and the Operations Commander, DSP Mr. Isaac Nyamekye, acted on intelligence about a boat transporting suspected narcotics in sacks along the river.
According to police, the eight-member team arranged for a private boat and proceeded onto the Volta River to lay an ambush.
At about 2 o’clock on February 17, the suspected boat was sighted moving towards Sogakope. Officers signaled the boat to stop, but the suspects refused to comply and attempted to flee.
In their attempt to evade arrest, the suspects reportedly became aggressive and violently tried to capsize the officers’ boat. The police, however, applied what they described as minimum necessary force, overpowered the suspects and successfully brought them ashore.

A search conducted on the intercepted boat revealed forty-one (41) sacks of suspected narcotic drugs believed to be Indian hemp. Each sack contained eighty (80) parcels, bringing the total number of parcels to 3,280.
Other items retrieved included fourteen (14) yellow gallons filled with pre-mixed fuel and an additional 40-horsepower outboard motor, believed to be a backup in case of mechanical failure.
The suspects were identified as:
Peter Kwaku, 30 years (Boat Operator)
Mathew Kojo Paul, 45 years (Boat Operator)
Moses Kwadwo, 21 years (Assistant)
Mawuli Soga, 25 years (Assistant).
Police disclosed that the suspects attempted to offer GH¢150,000 to the officers, but the offer was firmly rejected.
During preliminary interrogation, the suspects mentioned one Elias as the alleged owner of the goods, who reportedly hired them to transport the consignment to Nigeria.
They told investigators that the goods were transferred to them midstream using two smaller boats and that their final destination was Nigeria.
Suspect Peter Kwaku is said to have indicated that this would have been his third trip to Nigeria, having allegedly undertaken two previous trips in November last year and January this year involving five and eight sacks respectively.
The suspects and all exhibits have been handed over to the Drug Law Enforcement Unit (DLEU) at the Ho Regional Headquarters for further investigation and arraignment before court.
Police described the operation as a successful one, reflecting what they termed a high level of professionalism and dedication by the officers involved.
They further noted that such achievements have been inspired by the encouragement and recognition policy instituted by the current Inspector-General of Police, Christian Tetteh Yohuno, which acknowledges officers who distinguish themselves in the discharge of their duties and promote the image of the Service.




